Sunday, September 1, 2013

Six months In Haiti-Still Finding My Way In This Call


I owe an apology to all those who have offered me encouragement and support in my work in Haiti.  I have not posted a blog entry since the end of May.  Truly shameful.  I am not going to try to make excuses.  It has certainly been a busy few months for me.  However, I just seem to be less disciplined, less intent on writing about my experiences during this appointment.  I am not sure why that is.  I will try to be better about sharing my experiences.  As on of my dear friends says, “It allows your prayer partners to know how to pray.”  Of course, I also want readers to have an opportunity to understand a little more about Haiti and its remarkable people.

I want to share some thoughts on the 6-month anniversary of my second appointment in Haiti.  As I reflect on my first appointment in 2008-2009, it was truly a “honeymoon” mission assignment.  I was living with two courageous and deeply faithful young women, Margarette Saintilver and Carmel Chery, who were literally blazing a trail for young women called to the priesthood in the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti.  We became very close during that year, forging a bond that remains today.  I also had a wonderful rapport with the rest of the seminarians and, in some ways, served as a kind of Dean of Students at the seminary.  I wrote numerous grants that year and, amazingly, each one was approved for funding.  I had a great relationship with Pere Oge Beauvoir, the Dean of the Seminary and leader in many other aspects of the Diocese of Haiti.  I also lived in Port au Prince, within easy walking distance to the Champs des Mars, the center of historic and governmental operations for the City.  While it took a few months to gain my stride, there was a common rhythm to each day and a sense of accomplishment in ministry.

My current three-year appointment has been different.  Reporting to a Bishop requires a different level of accountability, a deeper understanding of the inner workings of the Church and a MUCH busier travel schedule!  As Bishop Beauvoir is the first Suffragan Bishop of the Diocese of Haiti, particularly focused on laying the groundwork for the Northern Region to become its own Diocese, the goals are high and expectations higher.  There is wonderful energy in the region about becoming its own Diocese.  Aside from the technical process (which I won’t go into at this point) our work requires both a strengthening of existing churches and ministries as well as expansion and development of new efforts.  It is both exciting and daunting.  I find myself involved in uncharted territory and, above all, want to make sure that I am able to work effectively in helping to actualize the vision for the Region du Nord.

And how do I know God’s hand is in it all?  First, because I feel God with me every day.  Secondly, because I feel the loving prayers and support of friends and family from the states, Kenya and Haiti.  And, thirdly, because, I am continually reminded of the incredible intersections that occur in life to help bring people together to do good work.  Just the other day, I was taking a cab to the Bishop’s office (Haitian cab rides are worthy of their own blog post!).  There was already someone in the front seat when I got in.  There was no conversation until we pulled up at the Bishop’s office.  Then the Haitian woman in the front seat turned around, and in beautiful English, asked if I knew of any apartments for rent.  She then said, “I know this is a strange question, but do you know anyone working with the Episcopal Church?”.  It turns out that her nonprofit is interested in possibly working with our farming school.  On top of that, her last name is Holly, so she is related to the first Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti!  It is these moments that convince me that I am where I need to be and that God will be by my side and all those working to effect positive change in the Region du Nord.

Next blog post will reflect on the woman and young adult summer camps!          

No comments: