Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Maundy Thursday- Loving Sacrifice and Humility

What is the significance of Maundy Thursday? At face value, it is Jesus's Last Supper with His disciples and foot washing. Much more than that,though, it represents everlasting bonds in faith and humility in service, sometimes beyond comprehension. And so it was for me my first Maundy Thursday back in Haiti. The Episcopal Diocese of Haiti, particularly the Northern Region, has a growing relationship with Food For The Poor (foodforthepoor.org), an inspiring, faith based nonprofit headquartered in Coconut Creek, Florida that serves the underserved in the Caribbean. One of our Diocese's responsibilities is to distribute food on schedule and on an as needed basis to villages near Cap Haitien. Maundy Thursday was a day designated to make four such deliveries. I was part of the team delivering to Chastenoye, a large village supported by Nativity Catholic Church in Burke, VA through Food for the Poor. We arrived with 85 sacks (more than 110 lbs.) of rice, 16 sacks (60 lbs.) of beans and 8 gallons of oil. As we moved from the paved roadway to dirt, the result of two full days of rain was evident. It was a sea of mud (boule in Creole) and I was wearing a pair of leather low-rise shoes. This was going to be interesting. We identified the village leaders and quickly began to unload the rice and other goods into a new, currently unoccupied house. Residents began to form around the truck and, soon, a sizable crowd emerged. They were relieved and overjoyed to see the rice, beans and oil, as they shared that they had no food for the Easter weekend. I wonder how many of us on any particular day question where our next meal is going to come. As we finished unloading the truck, I asked if there was a family who had experienced particular challenges of late. I was directed to a woman who was eager to share the strife of her family and bring me to her home. I speak very little Creole, so, as she spoke, one of the community leaders translated her story into French for me. En route to her home, I was greeted by many children, a couple of whom took my hands. This is one of my favorite parts of theses visits. At one point, I mis-stepped in some of the abundant mud, resulting in some landing on the back of my left sock and leg. Soon we arrived at the woman’s house and were met by a large pool of fairly deep water. I started to proceed toward the back of the house, hoping to access the porch from the other direction. I was quickly stopped by the residents, who explained that the water and mud was even worse in the back. Suddenly, a woman came up to me from behind, expressing distress that I had mud on my leg and sock. She immediately wiped it off. Then, seeing my dilemma, she scooped me up and carried me over the water. I was speechless and deeply moved, both by her kindness and her strength! Once I heard all the challenges before this particular family (to be shared in another blog entry) and started to say my goodbyes, I could feel the woman re-appear behind me. Before I could say anything, I was, once again, wisked across the water. By this time, the truck had been moved to our current location. As I approached the door, I asked the woman for her name. "Rachel", she said. She asked me to write it down. "I will remember", I said. And I have and I will, always. On the typical Maundy Thursday, we may think of the Last Supper and foot washing. This year, my sacred moment was the loving touch and spirited assistance of Rachel, my new and blessed friend in Chastenoye.

No comments: