Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Wonderful Time In The States & A Return To Haiti

I apologize for the month of silence. I really tried to honor my time with family and friends while in the states. As urged by my Bishop, I also needed give myself time for rest and renewal. This is not an easy practice for me. However, I did manage to designate some personal time into the weeks at home.

As I suspected, my visit passed very quickly. I scheduled many appointments and social get togethers well in advance of my arrival. This was done to assure that I took care of all the personal and professional needs as well as the very important reunions with those who I love and who have supported me throughout my discernment and execution of mission. Despite the best of intentions and heartfelt desires, there were several people who I did not have a chance to see. I felt very badly about this and hope that they understand. I will certainly look forward to seeing them in November when I conclude my service in Haiti.

The end of my time in the U.S was met with some difficulties related to my flight back to Haiti. Delta began to fly to Haiti in late June. I was thrilled by this news. American has been the only commercial airline to fly into Haiti and they are long overdue for some competition. I booked my last round trip excursion with them and looked forward to experiencing what I assumed would be the utmost professionalism and great customer service.

I had a 9 a.m. non-stop flight out of JFK airport in NYC, a hub for Delta. I arrived at 6:45 a.m., allowing plenty of time to process a boarding ticket, check baggage and board. I pulled up to what appeared to be curbside check-in. I was excited, as this would both save time and eliminate the need to drag three heavy suitcases inside. Within 15 minutes, it was clear that these representatives were not really doing anything other than confusing the passengers. I proceeded inside, loaded a cart and joined a HUGE line of passengers, all being served by half the number of representatives who should have been on duty for such a large group of customers. General chaos and inefficiency reigned, resulting in many, including me, missing our flights. I found myself faced with spending the day and evening at the airport in anticipation of boarding the same flight on Monday morning.

Despite my disappointment and frustration, my “stay” at JFK actually proved quite interesting. During the hours that followed, I observed the comings and goings of countless people from all possible nationalities and was truly amazed by the diversity of travelers passing through the airport. I had personal interactions with a Ghanaian gentleman named Derek who was based in South Dakota and had traveled to many countries including Russia, China and Tanzania, engaged in community-based initiatives on behalf of a Christian non-profit. I also had a delightful conversation with a 9-year-old Irish girl while her mother ordered their dinner. Apparently, she travels to the U.S. each summer visiting different parts of the country. She was remarkably poised and worldly for her age.

My observations at JFK airport are a clear reminder that our world has truly become quite small. We are called to embrace such opportunities, to deepen our understanding of each other and open our hearts to the rich and abundant cultures of the globe.

Now, back to my 48 hours journey to Haiti! My check in process on Monday morning went a little more smoothly. The waiting area for the flight was filled with Haitians. It was wonderful to hear the banter in Creole and re-aquaint myself with the wonderful Haitian spirit and laughter. As we landed in Port au Prince, all the passengers cheered. They were equally responsive when hearing the live Haitian music being played as we entered the terminal. Once I passed through the customs, baggage claim and security clearance areas, I exited the building. Oge Beauvoir, the Dean of Seminaire de Theologie, had arranged to meet me. However, much to my surprise, I was also greeted by Moliere, a gentleman who has provided transportation to me and my friends visiting Haiti. Although he knew that Oge was meeting me, he wanted to welcome me back to Haiti as well. I was so touched. Moliere was an instant reminder of the warmth and remarkable commitment to friendship that is inherent to Haiti. Though I know I will miss my family and friends in the U.S. during my final months in Haiti, I also know that the love and comradery that I experience here with so many people will sustain me. In fact, it is that same sense of community which will make it very difficult to say goodbye on November 2nd.

No comments: