Monday, December 15, 2008

Your Wish Is My Command, Ali Bove- A Day In The Life


Well, I am in my seventh week of residency in Port au Prince, Haiti and I am just getting around to the first request that was made by Ali Bove, a member of my Missioner Support and Advisory Team- to share a typical day here, including photographs of where I live and the places I go. One of the reasons this has been difficult is that each day has been somewhat different since I arrived. There is, nevertheless, a certain rhythm and routine that frames each day. So, here we go!









Days begin early at the Seminaire de Theologie and in Haiti. Marie, Margarette and I share one bathroom, so getting ready starts at 5-5:30 a.m. We have Morning Prayer Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and Eucharist on Wednesday and Friday at 7 a.m. This is followed by breakfast at 8 a.m. Breakfast consists of beans and rice or potatoes and pieces of meat or fish in a broth. Occasionally, we have spaghetti. Grace is said before every meal. Meals are served family style. No one begins to eat until everyone has served themselves. Once everyone has finished, a blessing is said and all head off to classes. If I do not have an appointment or some other commitment. I usually go back to my apartment and work. There is a desk in the apartment where I have my computer, printer etc.

Lunch is served around 1 p.m. The meal is almost identical to what is served for breakfast. After lunch, everyone disperses and returns to the responsibilities of the day.

Wednesdays are different in a number of ways. There is a Eucharist in the morning and at noon. I teach English to 6 seminarians who are at the intermediate level 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Since their mastery of the language is better, there is fairly lively conversation in the class and a certain amount of humorous questions and laughter- much like my Confirmation classes at Trinity. At the conclusion of class, we move to the Chapel for the mid-day Eucharist. Students from the College de St. Pierre, a university located behind the Seminary, are invited to the mid-day service. Following the Eucharist, any students who attended join us for a snack and ask the seminarians any questions that they wish. Though I cannot always follow everything that is said (it is all in French or Creole), I usually can grasp the overall discussion.

Evening prayer occurs at 6:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Following evening prayer a light meal is provided. Typically it includes a kind of porridge called bouillie. It is light brown in color and quite sweet. Often, there is also peanut butter and jelly, or hot dogs, fried potatoes and plantains.

The evenings often include watching soccer and the evening soap opera “Marina”. Everyone, male and female are glued to the nightly episodes of “Marina”. On Monday and Thursday evenings, 8-10 p.m., I teach English to four of the seminarians who represent the beginner group. Each week I provide them with a written assignment. Topics have included writing their autobiography and call to the priesthood; a detailed description of a place that they most want to visit in the world; and their favorite Christmas tradition. Class time is spent reading their written assignment out loud and asking each other questions. In addition, some time is spent introducing and reviewing everyday vocabulary, such as colors, pieces of furniture, articles of clothing etc.

After evening prayer and supper, I usually return to my apartment where I work on grant proposals, e-mails and even letter writing. My residency in Haiti has taken me back to the old fashioned tradition of letter and post card writing. It has been kind of nice to send a more personal note from time to time. I also take time to read books about Haiti. In fact, I am thinking of posting some titles on my blog and sharing my personal reviews.

On the weekends, most of the Seminarians head off to field work. This essentially leaves me alone. I use some of this time to go to the grocery store (Five Star or Piyay), run errands and do laundry. I also continue some of the same work that I do during the week. So far, I have worshipped at Trinite Cathedral each Sunday.



My early weeks in Haiti were pretty programmed- preparation for and actual visit by the Presiding Bishop, Haiti Connection conference and the Diaspora of Hope art camp. Now I find myself spending a lot of time researching and writing grants and pursuing potential partnerships for projects of the Diocese, especially in education. To provide myself with an outlet from this sedentary work, I am beginning to explore some volunteer opportunities. My first is going to be with the Lamp Clinic in Cite Soleil. This clinic is funded through a Philadelphia based non-profit called the Lamp Foundation of Haiti. Occasional participation in such initiatives allow me to feel as if I am engaged in vital ministry while also doing important work for the Diocese in growing funding streams and developing sustainable programming.

This Friday I will begin the first of three four-day language immersion sessions. To date, I have hobbled along with my Junior High-Senior High French. I really need to strengthen my ability in French and begin to grasp Creole. Without improving my communication skills, my work in Haiti is hampered. I have never been one who studies effectively on an independent basis. I am looking forward to an intensive and environmental method of instruction.

I hope this has given you a glimpse into my daily life in Haiti. Please feel free to post comments and ask questions, especially Ali! I will do my best to respond.

1 comment:

sandy said...

Hi Kyle!
I check your site periodically and was interested to see "A Day In The Life". The pictures are great and give us more of an idea of where you are and your daily activities. It sounds like quite an adventure. It takes a special person to do what you are doing and we are very proud of you. I also checked out the devotion site "Follow the Star". Thanks for passing that along to me. I have bookmarked it for future use. Keep up all the incredible work! Have a blessed Christmas!
Love, Sandy